Moving Forward to New Forum

This forum is created to discuss everything about Investing, from investment principles, to theories, concepts, strategies to investment jargons to provide a easy reference for everyone

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

ein55
Investing Mentor

Re: Moving Forward to New Forum

Post by ein55 »

Dear all,

There are 2 different areas, investor mentors are volunteers, we need to be clear what is our focus, before planning on the next move:

1) Commercial
- this forum is a side product of education business by Dennis and partners. For new graduate attending the paid seminars, they are entitled to this access with professional guidance (mainly by Dennis in the past) and also kowledge sharing with other forumers

- Dennis' education business likely will be continued by his partner (Yew Kin) and associate trainers from Wealth Direction. Currently they are busy with funeral of Dennis, new graduates have to be patient to wait for further news from the organizers. If they need urgent response, they may contact the company directly, a representative should be available to answer on future plan.

2) Volunteer / Interest
- this forum is also a platform for sharing of investment knowledge, this is a motivation for most investor mentors to stay for contribution. Ideally, it shd be commercial free, meaning we could recommend suitable investment techniques, not necessarily just seminar courses by Dennis and associates.

- investor mentors may help to run for some mentor sessions but it is 100% volunteer job, we don't receive any form of payment. It is purely based on passion to help others, regardless this is actually part of other people's business.

Here are my personal views, do not representing other investor mentors, they can make their own moves:

- I will continue to contribute to this forum as long as my original missions (stated in earlier post for "new forum") are intact. When it becomes a place for commercial gain (eg. promoting own services, while negating other educators), I will keep quiet again as the views discussed may not be impartial.

- It is not difficult to start a free forum, exactly the same format as this forum. However, I cannot not commit myself to participate actively in this forum. I have a full time job to take care, if needed, I may need to be away from time to time. If possible, I hope this forum can be a commercial-free open platform for fair discussions with consideration of different schools of teaching. If it is not possible, forumers can make their individual decision to stay or join other forums.

- I could contribute in forum posts, annual mentor session, small group gathering (personal level, eg. when going to some external seminars), but I cannot commit to run regular learning group sessions as it involves lots of resources, shd be organized by the professionals (Dennis' associates). I believe they have the strategies on how to move on from here (including engaging professional trainers, planning for the courses, etc), therefore we shd leave the future planning to them. Just give them some time during this transition period.
Einstein: "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler".
Email Dr. Tee: ein55.tee@gmail.com
Ein55 Free Investment Courses and eBook: http://www.ein55.com/free-public-educat ... by-dr-tee/
ui21cn
Investing Mentor

Post by ui21cn »

As I was drafting my thought, Ein55 posted the message and I really agreed 110% with him. Thanks Ein55.

To all forum members, pls give Wealth Direction time to sort out the various logistics and gather the team to move forward.

I also hope this forum will not be evolved into a commercial and/or biz soliciting platform.
I also urge the forum member to keep the content within the relevent topic,
instead of repeating same post/content in various topic headings.

I know all of us were sadden with Dennis departure and would like to keep things going;
that is why I choose to remember How He Lives His Life but not thinking why he left us.

All the Best to our Financial Savvy journey,
Wei teck
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Impartial view on forum

Post by candy_chia »

Agree that it should be commercial-free such that no one should even mention the name or contact number of company that he has vested interest or recommendation of their service they experienced. (unless it is free di zi gui class with no commercial value, I presume).

Earlier post by Dennis on Mar 22, 2011, clearly explained the impartial view held by highlighted by ein55.
ein55 wrote:Dear all,

There are 2 different areas, investor mentors are volunteers, we need to be clear what is our focus, before planning on the next move:

1) Commercial
- this forum is a side product of education business by Dennis and partners.

2) Volunteer / Interest
- this forum is also a platform for sharing of investment knowledge, this is a motivation for most investor mentors to stay for contribution. Ideally, it shd be commercial free, meaning we could recommend suitable investment techniques, not necessarily just seminar courses by Dennis and associates.

- investor mentors may help to run for some mentor sessions but it is 100% volunteer job, we don't receive any form of payment. It is purely based on passion to help others, regardless this is actually part of other people's business.

Here are my personal views, do not representing other investor mentors, they can make their own moves:

- I will continue to contribute to this forum as long as my original missions (stated in earlier post for "new forum") are intact. When it becomes a place for commercial gain (eg. promoting own services, while negating other educators), I will keep quiet again as the views discussed may not be impartial.

- It is not difficult to start a free forum, exactly the same format as this forum. However, I cannot not commit myself to participate actively in this forum. I have a full time job to take care, if needed, I may need to be away from time to time. If possible, I hope this forum can be a commercial-free open platform for fair discussions with consideration of different schools of teaching. If it is not possible, forumers can make their individual decision to stay or join other forums.

- I could contribute in forum posts, annual mentor session, small group gathering (personal level, eg. when going to some external seminars), but I cannot commit to run regular learning group sessions as it involves lots of resources, shd be organized by the professionals (Dennis' associates). I believe they have the strategies on how to move on from here (including engaging professional trainers, planning for the courses, etc), therefore we shd leave the future planning to them. Just give them some time during this transition period.
Dennis Ng wrote:Hi all,

I have to enforce some rules here:

in this discussion forum, do NOT leave down or publicize any contact number of any Service Provider. I don't want this to become a place where people come in and Advertise or publicize any service.

Even I do NOT do this ie. provide contact numbers of Financial Planners, Property Agents in this discussion forum.

So I have Removed all the info about contact details from above postings in this discussion thread.

For example, you can say that "I have written my Will through ABC company". If anyone wants to have any contact details, can private message me.
dragonhart2
Investing Mentor

Post by dragonhart2 »

dear all,

i do not understand why are we taking about a "New" forum. This forum "http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum" is a legacy from Dennis, contains many of his thoughts accumulated from the years since inception. it is very valuable and will continue to teach graduates many things not taught in the seminars.....all recent graduates should read the old threads to distill the learning lessons.....Dennis is still teaching us, though not physically here. IT WILL NOT BE SHUT DOWN!!! Remember: we are teaching u how to fish(taught in the seminars).....u have to do the fishing yourself...pls get the mindset right....This forum is for u to practise how to catch a fish by starting a new thread, and other senior graduates will help to comment.

cheers,
jason.
chuajinyi
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by chuajinyi »

Totally agree! There is just so much informations here for all to read and learn.
It is a lagacy from Dennis and this shall continue to live on!
Mystique
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by Mystique »

I second that. There are so much to learn from this forum. It is a continuation of Dennis teachings and should never be closed down. As Dennis mentioned before, this place is a reinforcement of all that was being taught in his seminars.
yhendra
Investing Mentor

Post by yhendra »

Hi Alvin,

Thank you for your ever-ready attitude in sharing to others!!
This is the spirit that Dennis had kept telling us: "The more you share, the more you learn... Give and you shall receive..."

I happened to be in his seminar, the Stock Seminar, on 21st/22nd July 2012 at Suntec City, with other 'trainers', Serene Loong, Adrian Chua, Jimmy.
It was our 'revision' to learn more from him in order for us to replace him conducting the seminar in future.
So that he can do some other strategic planning to reach out to more people.
We recorded the seminar for our learning. However, it happened to be his last seminar.

Just for sharing to everybody part of the first hour of the seminar. When I re-watched the video again the day after his wake.

I compiled the video and you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzK998SXgx0

Coincident or not that we recorded the seminar just before his departure,
I hope everybody now knows that he REALLY is SERIOUS about sharing and teaching to more people.

alvin wrote:Dear fellow graduates, it is heartening to see most us want the forum to continue.
Yew Kin has decided the monthly mentoring sessions will continue.
I will be conducting the next session on 13 Aug 12, Mon.
More details will be released soon.
Keep in touch!
Cheers!
Hendra
Like to share and give opinions.
However, please do your own homework!
You have been given the tools and the knowledge, try to fish yourself, so you will never be hungry again....
---
RTW (Ride The Wave) http://www.facebook.com/RTWLearningLab
jamestai
Investing Mentor

Post by jamestai »

<< This is zipink here, I am posting using jamestai account >>

Hi guys...It has been a long time since I lasted posted in the forum. :)

I never really left the forum. I was still browsing quietly using james' account.

Although Dennis and I have some disagreement in the past, I still respected him as a teacher. He was the first mentor who taught me about investing. 一日为师,终身为父. He has definitely made an impact to a lot of people and graduates and left a legacy.

I was talking to Yew Kin at the wake on Fri. He was hoping that all the past graduates/investing mentors who left the forum to return so that to keep the forum active and not die down.

At this moment in time, my personal opinion is that we should just let the dust settle down first. Let Yew Kin (Wealth Directions) settle the things that need to be done first.

Meanwhile... as long there are consistent postings and sharing by graduates (investing/property topics), the forum will just run on its own and will be lively.

I will catch up with you guys again.

Zipink, signing off
seeliaosaw

Post by seeliaosaw »

welcome back, i do not know you. but i do believe in forgiving and agree the chinese saying ... 一日为师,终身为父.
it is not possible to get along with everyone. there will be bound to disagreement.
for all the students, please help.
jamestai wrote:<< This is zipink here, I am posting using jamestai account >>

Hi guys...It has been a long time since I lasted posted in the forum. :)

I never really left the forum. I was still browsing quietly using james' account.

Although Dennis and I have some disagreement in the past, I still respected him as a teacher. He was the first mentor who taught me about investing. 一日为师,终身为父. He has definitely made an impact to a lot of people and graduates and left a legacy.

I was talking to Yew Kin at the wake on Fri. He was hoping that all the past graduates/investing mentors who left the forum to return so that to keep the forum active and not die down.

At this moment in time, my personal opinion is that we should just let the dust settle down first. Let Yew Kin (Wealth Directions) settle the things that need to be done first.

Meanwhile... as long there are consistent postings and sharing by graduates (investing/property topics), the forum will just run on its own and will be lively.

I will catch up with you guys again.

Zipink, signing off
sereneloong
Investing Mentor

Post by sereneloong »

Welcome back Zipink, Jamestai and all other "returning sons"! I am so glad to hear from u all again.

My belief is that because we are different, we are one. (It is NOT as commonly believed that despite our differences, we are one.) The plurality is what gives this forum strength. After all the herd is usually wrong. Let's agree to disagree!

Last but not least, everyone must make their own decision, but thro reading differing views, we can each come to a more informed one.

Love,
Serene
Zero Cuisine Cauliflower Mash. 60 calories. Zero guilt. Limited time offer: Free shipping! http://www.zerocuisine.com
randwick
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by randwick »

Hi Serene,

Perhaps to demonstrate how connected we are in this Universe, this article & photo might help....

This photo of our planet Earth was taken about 6 billion kilometres away at the edge of our solar system where our Sun is just one of the stars located within the Milky Way galaxy.

The most current estimates/guess is that there are 100 to 200 billion galaxies in the Universe, each of which has hundreds of billions of stars. A recent German supercomputer simulation put that number even higher: 500 billion. In other words, there could be a galaxy out there for every star in the Milky Way.

To get some scale/appreciation of the vastness of the Universe, multiply 200 billion galaxies conservatively by 200 billion stars & the number is mind boggling .... so at an universal level, I would safely say we are pretty tiny & pretty much connected!!

In 1989 both Voyager spacecraft had passed Neptune and Pluto. Carl Sagan wanted one last picture of Earth from "a hundred thousand times" as far away than the famous shots of Earth taken by astronauts from the moon during the Apollo series.

The result is stunning. In Sagan's words, "Because of the reflection of sunlight off the spacecraft, the Earth seems to be sitting in a beam of light, as if there were some special significance to this small world. But it's just an accident of geometry and optics. The Sun emits its radiation equitably in all directions. Had the picture been taken a little earlier or a little later there would have been no sunbeam highlighting the Earth.

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

"The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand."

--Carl Sagan
from Pale Blue Dot
Be happy, stay healthy & grow your savings wisely.
Ms Tan
Investing Mentor

Re: Impartial view on forum

Post by Ms Tan »

Just to add on Dennis's Administrator guidelines below as I have clarified with him when I first joined this forum last year and have given him a "Super Successful Forum Administrator" Award as we were impressed with so much of valuable sharings in this forum with no nonsense. Looking back, I'm glad we managed to express our gratitude ...

(1) He doesn’t want anyone to leave down or publicize contact number of any services because he doesn’t want the forum to become a Marketplace.

(2) What is acceptable is the business/personal website or motto/catchphrase in our profile &/or signature.

candy_chia wrote:Agree that it should be commercial-free such that no one should even mention the name or contact number of company that he has vested interest or recommendation of their service they experienced. (unless it is free di zi gui class with no commercial value, I presume).

Earlier post by Dennis on Mar 22, 2011, clearly explained the impartial view held by highlighted by ein55.
ein55 wrote:Dear all,

1) Commercial
- this forum is a side product of education business by Dennis and partners.

2) Volunteer / Interest

Dennis Ng wrote:Hi all,

I have to enforce some rules here:

in this discussion forum, do NOT leave down or publicize any contact number of any Service Provider. I don't want this to become a place where people come in and Advertise or publicize any service.

Even I do NOT do this ie. provide contact numbers of Financial Planners, Property Agents in this discussion forum.

So I have Removed all the info about contact details from above postings in this discussion thread.

For example, you can say that "I have written my Will through ABC company". If anyone wants to have any contact details, can private message me.
learner
Wealth Directions Guest Speaker

Re: Impartial view on forum

Post by learner »

Ms Tan wrote:Just to add on Dennis's Administrator guidelines below as I have clarified with him when I first joined this forum last year and have given him a "Super Successful Forum Administrator" Award as we were impressed with so much of valuable sharings in this forum with no nonsense. Looking back, I'm glad we managed to express our gratitude ...

(1) He doesn’t want anyone to leave down or publicize contact number of any services because he doesn’t want the forum to become a Marketplace.

(2) What is acceptable is the business/personal website or motto/catchphrase in our profile &/or signature.
Thanks Ms Tan & others for the reminder.

During this period before a new Administrator takes over Dennis, Alvin & learner (yip khiong) are able to moderate posts by deleting rule-breaking content (and to relocate posts - I have not explore other functions yet).

As I believe neither Alvin nor I can monitor all the posts to ensure that commercial or advertising posts (e.g. leaving contact numbers, as mentioned by Ms Tan in point 1 above) do not appear, we will need the help of you all (forum users) to report any posts that break the rules of Dennis (until the new administrator introduce new rules, if any).

You can just click the "!" buttom on top right corner as that will "report" a rule-breaking post to Alvin or me and then we will see whether we need to delete any part of, or the whole post (if a post violate Dennis' rules).

Regards,

learner
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

There is unnecessary worries about loss of data in this forum with reassurance from Dennis' sis-in-law, Hung Seow Wee.
HSW wrote:Hi everyone here,

You do not need to worry about the Administration and maintenance of this forum. I can do this on a part time basis.

Btw, I am Patricia's sister. Because of my IT background, Dennis has asked me to help him resolve a malware issue on his other website in early July.
Due to this incidence, I have the backend access.

Right now, I still do not have access to the Administrator role of this forum. But I will work with Patricia to regain access to his accounts. Give us some time.

In the meantime, please follow your heart, plan and do what you think is right for the forum. It may not be about the legacy. It's about how much people can benefit from this forum due to the valuable information that are already stored here. And how much you can grow yourself, and expand your knowledge and experience by applying what you've learnt from Dennis. And ultimately, it is about how much you can contribute to the society.

People who are taking the lead to plan/organise, please carry on. When you have agreed on what new topics to be created, consolidate and email to me at seowwee7@gmail.com. I will be able to help once I have the necessary access.

Thank you.
Hung Seow Wee
ngtfook
Platinum Forum Contributor

Post by ngtfook »

Hi Administrator,

Below is my PM exchange with Dennis with regard to Forum & Regulation.

Re: Forum Rule & Regulation
Sent: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:36 am
by Dennis Ng

I don't think we need so since all forumers are graduates and things like this seldom happens.

No rules can cover all loopholes. That's the problem with having spelt out rules.

Forum Rule & Regulation
Sent: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:22 am
by ngtfook

Hi Dennis,

I understand your concern and control of proprietory information. As administrator of this forum, you may also expose yourself to defamation as well.

I would suggest if you can spell out the Rule & Regulation so that forumers understrand and abide to the role & responsibility. Some forum has spells out the R&R and I think it is a good regulation.

RayNg
sorry, we will NOT teach what is covered in the seminar in this forum. Which is why the forum is supposedly ONLY open to Seminar graduates. As per your request, I let you access the forum before attending the seminar, but I'm afraid you need to be patient and wait for the Seminar. We take 2 days to teach the stuff in Stocks Seminar and we will NOT and should not waste time sharing what is already being taught in the seminars in this forum.

So I would personally delete any forumers replying to you and sharing what is being covered in the seminar.

And if you continue asking what is being taught in seminars and ask people to teach you here, guess I have NO choice but to withdraw your access to the forum and only give you access after you attend the seminars.
Price is what you pay; Value is what you get
RayNg