Using Cash or CPF to buy property

Welcome ! As starter, you can discuss anything related to housing loan here, or create your new forum for other topics.

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

dragon
Gold Forum Contributor

Using Cash or CPF to buy property

Post by dragon »

Hi Dennis, I read with interest your posted article "Housing Loan for Investing vs Home Purchase, any difference?". For property investors, you mentioned it's better to use cash rather than CPF. If I do so, may I pls know what would you suggest to use all the accumulated CPF-OA for, as it earns only 2.5% per annum if I leave it with the CPF Board? I understand only one-third of it can be used to buy stocks. Thanks in advance! :-)
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Re: Using Cash or CPF to buy property

Post by Dennis Ng »

dragon wrote:Hi Dennis, I read with interest your posted article "Housing Loan for Investing vs Home Purchase, any difference?". For property investors, you mentioned it's better to use cash rather than CPF. If I do so, may I pls know what would you suggest to use all the accumulated CPF-OA for, as it earns only 2.5% per annum if I leave it with the CPF Board? I understand only one-third of it can be used to buy stocks. Thanks in advance! :-)
Other than stocks, can use 100% of CPF to invest into Unit Trusts. Of course, one can invest in funds with lower sale charges through online medium.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
dragon
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by dragon »

Dennis Ng wrote:
dragon wrote:Hi Dennis, I read with interest your posted article "Housing Loan for Investing vs Home Purchase, any difference?". For property investors, you mentioned it's better to use cash rather than CPF. If I do so, may I pls know what would you suggest to use all the accumulated CPF-OA for, as it earns only 2.5% per annum if I leave it with the CPF Board? I understand only one-third of it can be used to buy stocks. Thanks in advance! :-)
Other than stocks, can use 100% of CPF to invest into Unit Trusts. Of course, one can invest in funds with lower sale charges through online medium.
I understand now, thanks Dennis! :-)
boonseah
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by boonseah »

Dennis Ng wrote:
Hi Dennis,

you mentioned that it's better to use cash rather than cpf to invest in properties. Is equity loan the main reason behind it? Any other benefits to use cash?

Thanks.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

boonseah wrote:
Dennis Ng wrote:
Hi Dennis,

you mentioned that it's better to use cash rather than cpf to invest in properties. Is equity loan the main reason behind it? Any other benefits to use cash?

Thanks.
yup, using CPF will reduce amount of Equity Loan in future. Which is why I suggest for investment property, one should minimise or avoid using CPF altogether. Only use CPF for your Home Purchase.
Cheers!

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
investor10
Senior Forum Member

Post by investor10 »

Hi Dennis,
Can one take an Equity Loan from a private property home?

If can, then the portion paid by CPF would have to be excluded from the Equity loan tabulation, am I correct?

If this is the case, what is the benefit of using CPF for private property home verses using CPF for private investment property?

Thanks in advance
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

investor10 wrote:Hi Dennis,

If can, then the portion paid by CPF would have to be excluded from the Equity loan tabulation, am I correct?

If this is the case, what is the benefit of using CPF for private property home verses using CPF for private investment property?

Thanks in advance
Hi investor10,
this is how it works:

Market Valuation of Private Property: S$1.5 million
Housing Loan outstanding S$500,000
CPF utilised S$200,000.

Max = 70% of market valuation = S$1,050,000.
Max Equity Loan = S$1,050,000 - S$500,000 - S$200,000 = S$350,000.

Thus, as far as possible try to minimise usage of CPF if your intention is to take an equity loan on the private property.
Cheers!

investor10
Senior Forum Member

Post by investor10 »

thanks Dennis for the illustration
moneyisfreedom
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by moneyisfreedom »

Dennis Ng wrote:

Thanks in advance
Hi investor10,
this is how it works:

CPF utilised S$200,000.

Thus, as far as possible try to minimise usage of CPF if your intention is to take an equity loan on the private property.
Hi Dennis:

For the 70% of market valuation, is this a standard proportion you can take ? Are there any kind of restrictions ?
TanKS
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by TanKS »

Is equity loan only available to private properties, or does it include HDB? Thanks!
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

moneyisfreedom wrote:
Dennis Ng wrote:

Thanks in advance
Hi investor10,
this is how it works:

CPF utilised S$200,000.

Hi Dennis:

For the 70% of market valuation, is this a standard proportion you can take ? Are there any kind of restrictions ?
Currently, it is diffciult to get more than that, a few months ago, it can be about 80%.
Cheers!

boonseah
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by boonseah »

Dennis Ng wrote: Currently, it is diffciult to get more than that, a few months ago, it can be about 80%.
Hi Dennis,

will the equity loan be further reduced to 60% due to latest cooling measures?
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

boonseah wrote:
Dennis Ng wrote: Currently, it is diffciult to get more than that, a few months ago, it can be about 80%.
Hi Dennis,

Hi Boonseah,
it's a mute point. Currently, some banks can still grant up to 70%, as 60% financing refers to a person having an existing Housing Loan and want to finance purchase of new property.
Cheers!

boonseah
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by boonseah »

Dennis Ng wrote:
boonseah wrote:
Hi Dennis,

Hi Boonseah,
it's a mute point. Currently, some banks can still grant up to 70%, as 60% financing refers to a person having an existing Housing Loan and want to finance purchase of new property.
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the clarification.

I view Equity loan as "an additional loan from banks due to the increase in property valuation".
If someone has taken an equity loan but sometimes later the property valuation drops due to mkt crash etc, will there be any problem like banks demand a partial equity loan payment etc?

Thanks.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

boonseah wrote:
Dennis Ng wrote:
boonseah wrote: Hi Dennis,

Hi Boonseah,
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the clarification.

I view Equity loan as "an additional loan from banks due to the increase in property valuation".
If someone has taken an equity loan but sometimes later the property valuation drops due to mkt crash etc, will there be any problem like banks demand a partial equity loan payment etc?

Thanks.
70% is safe. All these questions and more are covered in my Secrets to Making Money in Property Seminar, so I would urge you to attend if you have NOT.

Investing in knowledge reaps the most returns.
Cheers!