Sharing Some Good Books I Come Across

This forum is created to discuss broad Financial Principles pertaining to Personal Finance

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Sharing Some Good Books I Come Across

Post by Dennis Ng »

Hi all,

For the last 10 years, I've probably read over 500 books. Some are just so-so, some are OK, a Few are Really Good/Great books in my opinion.

This discussion thread is created so that I can share some of these Good/Great Books I read (probably less than 5% of everything I read). I've shared some of these good books during my Seminars, but this Discussion Thread is to share them, one by one, with you (who "chanced" upon this discussion thread, actually I don't really believe in chance happenings).

Last 4 days, I was overseas on Vacation. During the Vacation, I managed to finish reading 2 out of 3 books written under the Series 活法 "The Principles to Living" by Kazuo Inamori.

P.S. yes, reading at least 1 to 2 hours a day during any Free Time and before sleep is a Habit I started 10 years ago and since then, never stopped.

P.P.S. the English translation of Chinese words in this posting is done by me and I apologise if there is any inaccuracy in translating the meaning.

活法, the original text is written in Japanese by Kazuo Inamori, translated into chinese by 林慧如.

Kazuo Inamori, the founder of Kyocera Corporation and KDDI Corporation, is considered one of Japanese Top 4 Entrepreneurs, (the only one now still living) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuo_Inamori

His business and Living philosophy is 敬天爱人. 敬畏上天,关爱众人。 (ie. to have utmost Respect for the Universe and Universal and Natural Laws and Principles. To Love others and society as a whole is to put the society's interests above personal interests, to do things that Benefit Others, not just to Make a Living.

He believed strongly that the seed of success is "Passion" and that Passion can help a person persevere and get over huddles and the low points in life, something I can personally relate to and attest to.

He believes that a person needs to have a Strong Purpose and Strong Principles as guiding light in a person's life.

Reading this book and the many Living Principles and Business Principles he shared has reaffirmed my Belief and Passion in my Life Purpose of helping to spread Financial Literacy and helping more people to reach Financial Freedom.

With the formation of "Wealth Directions" and the latest announcements made on 9 Jun 2010, it has given me alot of Encouragement and Belief that this Dream of spreading Financial Literacy through a Group of Wealth Educators who feel the same Passion as me, is something that can be Achieved and NO Longer a Dream that I have.

CBA truly works, and once again, I've experienced the Wonders and Miracles of CBA, and my hope is for more people to join us in our Cause of "Helping One Million People Achieve One Million....at least" by empowering them with Financial Knowledge and Ways to have Multiple Sources of Income so that they can reach Financial Freedom faster.

Amongst the Wealth Educators, we will also be selecting suitable persons to help in conducting Financial Education Training and Seminars in future.

Many Hands Make Work Light, hope many more hands can come forward to help us in this Cause.

In the book 活法, it mentioned that importantly, a person's Life Purpose must be Pure and with Good Intentions with the Deepest Desire to Benefit Others and the Society as a Whole, and with that, people and resources will be Attracted to help in the Cause.

I know very clearly that my Intentions are Pure and Desire to benefit the Society in trying to educate the Public. Frankly, it does NOT Bother me if anyone doubt my intention and desire, becos I'm not doing this to show anybody. Action Speaks Louder Than Words.

I've been doing this (helping to Educate the public) for the last 10 years while building up my own businesses, and now with my Housing Loan Business on track, from now onwards, I can devote even more Time and Resources to Pursue this Personal Mission in Life to educate the Public.

The question is do you want to Join Forces to do this?

My answer is Clear. I can Just Do all this myself (educating the public) without involving others, but I know that by doing so, my own personal resources and Powers are limited and I can thus only Reach out and help very few people (eg. 700 people over 12 months since May 2009.

How can I help 7,000 people in a year? How can I help 70,000 people in a year?

The answer clearly tells me that I need to Reach out to Ask for Help, to seek for like-minded Individuals to do this on a Systematic Basis.....and this is why Wealth Directions is Conceived and Created.

If you want to help in this Cause in a haphazard or spontaneous way, the Problem is will it be Effective? How many people can you help by doing it haphazard and spontaneous?

The Choice is Clear. At least it is very Clear to me and I've again embarked on the Journey Forward with a Strong Leap of Faith, with Jason, Yew Kin and 54 Wealth Educators.

If you're still considering and hesitating, again I want to ask you a simple Question:

Ask yourself, whatever we are doing, is it:

1. Legal
2. Ethical
3. Win/Win and
4. In line with the Mission to help Spread Financial Literacy?

The answer to me is Clearly yes. The next question you need to ask yourself is this:

Have you ever regretted for doing the Right Thing?

I don't know about you, but personally, I've never regretted doing the Right Thing. I only sometimes regret for not taking Action Enough.

Will you join me in the Cause?

I remember the teaching of a "sifu", that there are no accidents in life and everything happens for a Reason.

Perhaps this is why I come across these 3 books written in this series of books entitled 活法 by Kazuo Inamori.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Below is an email I received and my reply to the person.

Hope my reply clarifies our position and stand on helping the Poor and the Target Market for our Seminars.

Cheers!

Dennis Ng, http://www.MasterYourFinance.com

Nope, our Target Market is not the Poor. For the Poor, we might actually do FREE programs for them, so there is no issue that the Poor cannot afford the Seminars..

Our Focus Target Group is on the Middle Class. Many of the middle class Singaporeans TODAY may even have to work in their 60s and 70s becos I observe that most of them have less than S$200,000 when they reach their 50s.

So that is our Focus for this Business. To me it is the 20 to 80 perccentile income family, those that earn between S$3,000 to S$8,000 a month that are the "sandwiched class" who do NOT enjoy most of the subsidies and will have problem retiring, this is a Big Segment of people that we want to reach out and help.

Imagine, if someone paid S$998 to attend my 2-day Secrets to Making Money in Stocks Seminar instead of paying over S$3,000 to attend any of the Stock Seminars out there in the market, they would have saved over S$2,000 and in a way, made over S$2,000.

How to reach out to these Potential Target Middle-Class Market? As mentioned, Wealth Directions, the company, will arrange and coordinate Publicity and Advertising campaigns,
including advertising in the newspapers and to split the cost 50: 50 with Wealth Educators. All the "leads" from the advertisements would go to the Wealth Educators, not the company.

For the bottom 20 percentile income families (Poor), the company might have some Outreach programs, which like I say, might even be totally FREE, and yes, we would need Wealth Educators to serve as Volunteers for such FREE Public Programs.

Thank you for joining us in this Cause. I think it will be Win/Win/Win for everyone, including those who just come and attend our seminars (customers). Nobody loses.

I realize that as I get Richer, there is more I can do for Charity and Poor. My aim is to be able to donate S$100,000 per year to Charity. I also want to train up a group of “Wealth Educators” who can then possibly conduct FREE talks for the poor and the needy. Do you share my Passion and Enthusiasm in this?

Cheers!

Dennis Ng

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 20:57
To: dennis@masteryourfinance.com
Subject: RE: Regarding helping to spread Financial Literacy

hi Dennis,

I attended yesterday's preview and had signed up.

On my way home, I was thinking hard : if the objective is to make sure that NO Singaporeans aged 70 had to be cleaners and wipe tables at hawker centres 20 years from now" then what age group are we looking at for this course ? 50 yrs old ?

I have been working with 'graded staff' in 2 organisation. Meaning to say people who are not well educated, (regardless of age), and do not have much money.

I might be able to persaude them to come for the preview and even if they were to attend the seminar on basic financial literacy. But, chances is that they may find little use for the course in stock / property investment cos they have little to spare. then, how would I be able to help them better ? to begin with, they might not even be able to find the money to attend these 'higher level' course. This leaves me a little perplexed.

By the same token, Jason says target is to sell $3K course within 6 mths, how to achieve this target if your 'client' base is in this 'poor' group ? If my clientle base is those 'well-to-do' ones and can afford to come, I guess these people anyway won't fall into the category to wipe tables at foodcourt.
Cheers!

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

What's your Greatest Power?

Read this book entitled:"Your Greatest Power" written by J. Martin Kohe to find out.

This book is very thin, and can be finished reading in 1 hour. But the impact it has might change your Life forever.

This book might not be available in bookstores in Singapore. If you want, you can buy online from http://napoleonhillassociates.com/default.php

You can also get "The Master Plan to Success" written by Napoleon Hill at this website as well. (This book though relatively unknown, in my opinion, is BETTER than "Think and Grow Rich" written by the same author.

The unique thing about this book is this is the only Book in "interview" format. The entire book is Napoleon Hill asking Andrew Carnegie (steel magnate and Richest Man in 1910s) about Secrets to Success. So, in a way, reading the book is like having the Opportunity to learn from Andrew Carnegie (already dead) directly. Don't miss the chance to do so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Carnegie

These 2 are Great Books. Your only regret probably would be why didn't I get to read them earlier?
Just like many of my seminar graduates' regret is not attending my seminar earlier.
Cheers!