Dennis, I doubt what you teach works after these 2 months..

This forum is created to discuss everything about Investing, from investment principles, to theories, concepts, strategies to investment jargons to provide a easy reference for everyone

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

Jasper
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by Jasper »

Good day Dennis,
I did not notice this topic till today. I would have jump in to share my experiences.

I first met you in end of 2008 at Queenstown CC speach, u mention to buy gold (U$800+) and Silver (U$14+). I have doubt but no harm holding since trend in going up. It proven you are right.

I attended your "How to have 1 Million $" teaching, you mention to purchase high end condo or landed property. I sold all my gold, legally leased out my 5rm HDB and purchased a landed property. (I choose landed than condo for long term and my lifestyle with elder parents)

In 2010 and 2011, when I have save enough "opportunity cash", invest in 2 stocks. (YZJ and CSE -> both return is much better than bank offer)

So I would say loudly " Yes, Dennis teaching work well!"
I am only a small little fly hiding in a corner, coming to share this just to share my support to Dennis. Only a "抛砖引玉", all big guys reading this do not laugh at me :oops:

Dennis, I know I am now walking on a path known as "Financial Freedom", and I can see I will be there as this proven map is provided but somebody just went there and return as generous guide to bring more people there.
I am fortunate.

Best Regards
Jasper
shazamnick
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by shazamnick »

Jasper wrote:Good day Dennis,
I did not notice this topic till today. I would have jump in to share my experiences.

I first met you in end of 2008 at Queenstown CC speach, u mention to buy gold (U$800+) and Silver (U$14+). I have doubt but no harm holding since trend in going up. It proven you are right.

I attended your "How to have 1 Million $" teaching, you mention to purchase high end condo or landed property. I sold all my gold, legally leased out my 5rm HDB and purchased a landed property. (I choose landed than condo for long term and my lifestyle with elder parents)

In 2010 and 2011, when I have save enough "opportunity cash", invest in 2 stocks. (YZJ and CSE -> both return is much better than bank offer)

So I would say loudly " Yes, Dennis teaching work well!"
I am only a small little fly hiding in a corner, coming to share this just to share my support to Dennis. Only a "抛砖引玉", all big guys reading this do not laugh at me :oops:

Dennis, I know I am now walking on a path known as "Financial Freedom", and I can see I will be there as this proven map is provided but somebody just went there and return as generous guide to bring more people there.
I am fortunate.

Best Regards
Jasper
Hi Jasper,

I am inspire by your experience and proactive actions after having following sifu's advice. How many of us are brave enough to take drastic actions towards achieving financial freedom? I congrats you for your bravery and your long-sighted ambitious!!

Let me share my experience here too! I attended Dennis's preview this year May 2011 where he mentioned to buy Silver and ChipEngS. The following day, I acted quick and bought Silver and ChipEngS at US$0.320 and $0.50 respectively. Almost immediately, i saw the quick profits gain within the next few days and I signed up the course of course, and I also pull in two more friends to join the course. Now, my course fee is earned back (easily!!!) and I looking forward to double my wealth with the guidance of sifu, real soon.

Thank you.

shazamnick
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Market Cycle Investing

Post by candy_chia »

"For beginners, it is "better" to lose first, learn the lesson and earn back late[/color]r (likely there is still a major rally this year), If the last rally comes to us first, GREEDS may lead us to buy more at the peak, will LOSE MUCH MORE when mega trend is changed."as mentioned by ein55.

To earn immense capital appreciation, one needs to patiently wait for the seed to flourish into a robust tree, rather than taking meager profit of 10% to 20%, that's an invaluable skill that I need to master from Dennis' teaching.
Dennis Ng wrote:
Each investment method or strategy has its own Pros and Cons. The key thing is whether the method has been tested to work and we must also examine the Logic and Reasoning underlying the method to see whether it can work again.

Market Cycle Investing has worked for me, I went from someone who used to take profits when I had 10% to 20% profit, to someone who managed to make 200% to 500% from stocks in a single Market Cycle. I also went from someone who at one point in time was so focused on TA, that I keep learning more and more different TA indicators until I became even more confused, rather than enlightened...

Market Cycle Investing helped me to achieve my First Million Dollars, enabled me to avoid the Market Crash in year 2008, enabled me to start buying stocks from Oct 2008 (after collapse of Lehman Brothers) and enabled me to make over 50% gains in last 2 years, (of course if I had bought at the lowest point, I would make 100% gain, I think only god can buy at Market Bottom or sell at Market Top).

So once again, it shows that investing, we don't have to be right 10 out of 10 times, we only need to be right 6 out of 10 times and get Richer over time.
lynnboh
Silver Forum Contributor

Re: Dennis, I doubt what you teach works after these 2 month

Post by lynnboh »

Hi guys/gals

It really depends on when your entry into the market is for it to be profitable. My portfolio was generating as much as 14k profit since started investing at Mar 2009 and i did not even know Dennis then yet. I am not saying that Dennis teaching does not work but it also has to be applied at the correct time. After knowing Dennis i invested more at the beginning of 2010 (he was calling for the last rally b4 the crash)and by Aug 2010 u all know what happen to the stock market after the US debt ceiling fiasco. sold my stock and lose money. i reserve judgement for u guys to determine the success rate of his teaching.
danielcheng
Investing Mentor

Post by danielcheng »

How can that be? There must be experts from this forum whom made good returns from the stock market in the last 2years! Should be able to make money both ways either up & down, that was what i learnt & come to understand. Those whom profited during this period, please step forward to share & inspire just like Dennis always does.

Too bad i too happen to be in the losing end. Yes, i only have myself to blame.
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Must take personal responsibility for their own investment

Post by candy_chia »

Had spoken to a graduate who lost $40k to unit trust, by heeding the advice of his financial planner before attending Dennis' seminar.

If we can avoid exorbitant loss in our valuable capital through avoidance of purchasing fraudulent companies or falling into the trap of scams (wine, gold, landbanking, etc), we will have enough bullets left when the crisis eventually arrives.

For any investment decision undertaken, we can only place the blame on ourselves for incurring loss & vice versa. During the Investing Mentoring session conducted by ein55 in Nov last year, he shared with us his contrarian view of holding to his portfolio despite the existence of pessimism, applause for exhibiting independent thinking.

I wish I had attended the Dennis stock seminar earlier and avoided enormous loss incurred previously, :(

2005 - Lost $22,000 through investment in ACCS (now renamed as MDA, last traded at $0.012, slided from a high of $0.89)
2009 - Profit of $6,500
2011 - lost ($5,600)

Total loss (1998-2012) is $50k. :cry:

http://sgforums.com/forums/2092/topics/146175

http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... ity#p24073
by dragonhart2 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:02 pm
dragonhart2 wrote: yes..whatever anyone share here that is not a fact(means haven't happen yet) is an opinion, we all must have this mindset and correct expectation

.....i have emphasized that everyone Must take personal responsibility for their own investment. we are not giving investments tips here, we are just here to share our own way of investing and opinions

....each of us must do our own independent thinking, then take actions and be responsible for his own actions....

we show How we fish but cannot Guarantee the person who follows to the same spot and use the same method can catch the same number of fishes.... :D

we were handpicked by Dennis to be investing mentors: with great power, comes great responsibility. i firmly believe Dennis has picked the right people.

cheers,
jason.
http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... 017#p24017
Postby ein55 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:01 am
ein55 wrote:Tank Theory
===========

In the past few cycles, it is either clear uptrend (eg. 1999-2000, 2003-2007, 2009-2010) or clear downtrend (eg. 2008-2009), therefore it is relatively easier to "ride the trend" (either long or short), even if not at the wave front (be the first few who catch the peak or valley), but the wave is long enough to sustain for several years to make a profit.

2010-2012 is a unique phase, not showing clear long term up or down trend, confusing many investors.

In my opinion, this scenario is mainly because

=> Euro crisis (2010-2012 or may be longer) is a man-made crisis, as well as a political show which can be manipulated by politicians.

Postby Dennis Ng » Tue May 29, 2012 10:50 am
http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... cam#p22094
Dennis Ng wrote: But in the end, I also lost money investing with another company, Assetton. When the company went all the way to forge all the documents, including letters from warehouse showing that my wine is stored in France, there is really almost no way to avoid. So yes, I lost about S$50,000 investing into French Wine with 2 companies, Premium Liquid Assets and Assetton.

As you might realise, if you only invest when the upside is double downside, even if you lose money on 6 out of 10 investments, you will still get Richer. I'm a living example to demonstrate this in this forum. You would realise that some of my stock investments also lost money, but overall I make as I diligently follow this investment rule which I teach and Practise as well.

http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... 391#p18391
y ein55 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:34 am
ein55 wrote:
Whether it is time to buy or sell stocks now, will depend on your INVESTMENT PERIOD and level of risk taking.

As mentioned during my last graduate seminar on 14 Nov 2011, after the survey is done, 100% feel it is a bear market, therefore I felt it was time we should take a long position then.

From Oct 2011, STI has recovered 16% from the correction valley, about 400 points. The small cap index has also recovered about 14%. Since blue chips are "expensive" now, penny stocks will repeat the last mini rally in Jan 2011, will have chance to rise.

For me, I don't feel particularly happy of the rally, nor sad during the correction. I will follow the last targets, sell if the milestones have arrived, else will be observer for up and down of the market.
y yhendra » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:54 pm
http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... 3&start=15
yhendra wrote:Up to date, my own realized lost, for the past 10 years.
(I forgot to mention in the session that these includes cash & CPF, both from my own account & my wife account)

I see my personal improvement without losing too much compare to the period 2002 to 2010 before I attended Dennis' stock seminar.
Which I wish I attended his seminar earlier in 2009, which cost you only $698 for Stock & Property!!. Now it costs more than $2k!

But, after attending Dennis' stock seminars (stock & property) in late 2010 (Sep/Oct), I was better prepared, with the knowledge and the concept of Market Cycle Investment.

Of course the crash in August, caught us all by surprise...

I was actually already off-load 90% of my stocks in June 2011.
So, I was idle in July. I still believe that the last rally will come!!
So I prepared myself to enter with the following strategy.
See this chart

So, it breaks the resistance after the US' debt-increase was approved.
BUT, unfortunately the next couple of days, US debt rating was downgraded, then boom, boom... the market crash... I was not able to react fast enough to sell. I believe that a lot of retail investor like us had no time to react, like I share in the session, simply the news come to us very2 late!

If I didn't cut lost, roughly now, I would have easily lost another $10k to $20k!

Have I improved? Definitely!!
Did I make more money? Of course not yet!
Do I give up? Nope! I won't give up!

Stay hungry, stay foolish!
lop
Platinum Forum Contributor

Post by lop »

lynnboh wrote:Hi guys/gals

It really depends on when your entry into the market is for it to be profitable. My portfolio was generating as much as 14k profit since started investing at Mar 2009 and i did not even know Dennis then yet. I am not saying that Dennis teaching does not work but it also has to be applied at the correct time. After knowing Dennis i invested more at the beginning of 2010 (he was calling for the last rally b4 the crash)and by Aug 2010 u all know what happen to the stock market after the US debt ceiling fiasco. sold my stock and lose money. i reserve judgement for u guys to determine the success rate of his teaching.
STI was about 3200 in Jan 2011 and about 2600 in Aug/Sep 2011. Those who followed blindly and bought stocks in Jan 2011 hoping for the last rally and got out in Aug/Sep 2011 when US market 50/200 MA days cross down after the US debt ceuling fiasco are very likely to loss a lot of money.

Well, it is not just depends on when you enter the market, it also depend on what is your investment time frame. Different investment time frames need different MAs. Understand that many follow the 50/200 days MA crossover taugh in the seminar and frequently quoted in this forum. In my opinion 50/200 days MA crossover is only suitable for longer time frame market cycle investing. If you want to use 50/200 MA, the entry should be Apr/May 2009 and exit should be May/Jun 2011. For those entered market in Jan 2011, it was already too far away from the 50/200 MA cross up and hence the 50/200 MA cross down should not be used as exit. If you are too far away from the 50/200 MA cross up in Apr/May 2009 at the start of the market cycle up trend, then the subsequent entry/exit should be based on shorter MA such as 100, 50 or 20 days.
lynnboh
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by lynnboh »

Another observation on the moving average during the period between Jun/Aug 2011, the 20, 50, 200ma trendline are almost interwining with each other. That is to say there are almost no gap or very close gap between these 3 ma lines to signify some big movement. Also observed this during the 2008 crash. A trend pattern should show a clear gap between the 20 ma above the 50ma and if a huge gap exist between 50ma above the 200ma best. This means uptrend still heathly. No absolute accuracy here it just my observation. One can always take some profit off the table when such pattern appears but if uptrend continues the most is you profit less. But if it really crash, you would have save yourself alot of heartaches.
ein55
Investing Mentor

Post by ein55 »

This is an interesting discussion topic on timing of investment, influence of TA/FA on individual stock vs global market trend...

To a certain degree, Lynn is correct, if timing of entry is good (eg 2009), FA is less critical, most stocks (over 95%?) will grow together with the global indices. Similarly, if timing of entry is bad (she probably means entry in Jan 2011 during "last rally", exit Aug 2011 during US credit crisis, not Jan/Aug "2010"), FA is also less critical, most stocks will still fluctuate with the global market and "news" (created by politicians), eg. during 2010-2012 flat/uncertain market, during this period, longer term TA (eg. 50/200 MA) does not work well.

Lop is right, consistency is important on entry/exit strategy. If someone really exit with a loss, hoping for a major crisis to buy back at low point, then this person should not re-enter when QE3 is introduced because this could be another "trap" based on this person's strategy. For short term traders, they could buy/sell within a few days, so they could react to the "news" and "hopes", this is also a trading strategy, nothing wrong. However, if one is a market cycle investor, next day is a trader, then there is no consistency, unless this person split the portfolio, eg. into 50/50 (or any ratio 20/80, etc), each using different strategies to maximize the chances.

Similarly, for those who still hold the bullish view for next 1-2 years, then they should be persistent, not quickly sell all at each major correction, and then buy back when bull is confirmed again (buy high). There is always calculated risk to take (combined with holding power if it is a wrong call), in order to make a profit based on the timeframe of investor/trader.

Based on the global market indices charts, 2012 is clearer now to be a mini valley of mini bear, with this belief, one could project another 1-3 years (avg = 1.5 - 2 yr) of "recovery" from bear or 2nd phase of bull market. TA trend of H2/2012 will be critical to reinforce this trend, as if H2/2009 period, many people still have doubt in the recovery ("so easy to resolve global financial crisis in 6 months?")
Einstein: "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler".
Email Dr. Tee: ein55.tee@gmail.com
Ein55 Free Investment Courses and eBook: http://www.ein55.com/free-public-educat ... by-dr-tee/
ein55
Investing Mentor

Post by ein55 »

Yes, one way to tell real 50/200 MA signal vs false alarm, is to look at the gap between 50/100/200, larger gap shows stronger trend (up or down), narrower gap = flat/uncertain market. Besides, the angle of intersection of 50/200 MA is also critical, usually true valley or peak, these 2 angles of 2 MA will be very different, showing steep recovery or steep drop (major crisis). Besides, 50/200 MA has to happen in a relatively low (eg less than 2000 for STI) or relatively high (eg. more than 4000 for STI) to show its significance. During the uncertain market, it is like mini market cycles within a big market cycle, one may need to use shorter MA for swing trading, eg. 2/19 MA (used by Prof Chan) or 20/50 MA (by some mid term traders), this may be the possible way to make profit (or should I say not to make too much loss) during the last 2 years.
lynnboh wrote:Another observation on the moving average during the period between Jun/Aug 2011, the 20, 50, 200ma trendline are almost interwining with each other. That is to say there are almost no gap or very close gap between these 3 ma lines to signify some big movement. Also observed this during the 2008 crash. A trend pattern should show a clear gap between the 20 ma above the 50ma and if a huge gap exist between 50ma above the 200ma best. This means uptrend still heathly. No absolute accuracy here it just my observation. One can always take some profit off the table when such pattern appears but if uptrend continues the most is you profit less. But if it really crash, you would have save yourself alot of heartaches.
Einstein: "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler".
Email Dr. Tee: ein55.tee@gmail.com
Ein55 Free Investment Courses and eBook: http://www.ein55.com/free-public-educat ... by-dr-tee/
lynnboh
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by lynnboh »

hi ein55

Thanks for clearing my post. You made it so clear and understandable.
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Thank you Waterman's (Investing Mentor) kind reminder to be Responsibility for our loss (or profit) as we are the one who make the choice in investment (buy/sell/hold).

http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... ity#p22241
Waterman wrote:Hi Dennis,

You taught us things in finance and in life. Thus, you are my teacher. I want to address you as 吴师傅 but I don’t really like the spelling of ‘Sifu’, so I thought Master Ng looks nicer. Adopted from Star Wars “Master Skywalker”.

Yes, I got it. The Bull and Bear still combating. Watch out for market movement in the next few weeks to be clearer. Ok, i self conclude that we are still in late Autumn, Winter has not yet arrived. It’s a complicated world today. The more I learnt, my thoughts are clearer, but at the same time, the more I’m worried. When I look at U.S., Greece, Spain, Italy, even Germany has a few things on her mind.

Yes, I understand 200 days TA is a lagging indicator and not 100% accurate. But 80% accuracy is a good indicator to refer to. In my school days last time, when I scored 80%, I got an A. It’s sufficient already.

I like the idea when you first introduce Upside is at least double that of Downside, and the Magic of thinking BIG. But I seldom think of the 6 out of 10. I think it contradict with the Magic.

I sympathize with the graduates who were failed by last year’s Dead Cross. I understand it was not a good feeling to lose our hard-earned money. But I think it is unfair to put the blame on you, because you are not their banker.

Investors need to take full responsibility when they made the investment decision, i.e. when they called their brokers, or when they clicked the Confirm button on their screen.

Like I said, it’s a more complicated world now, U.S. policy makers can time travel, and came back from the future and literally cut rates in 2014, many things are out of sync.

I thank you for teaching us the methods to think and analyse. We have tailored them to suit our own needs. Sometimes, I see your views are very different from other analysts in the market and you were greeted by very harsh words. Please don’t be discouraged. It just proven that you are frank and strong (in the mind) and I am very impressed.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Waterman
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Thoughts to ponder on Lessons Learnt as an Investor as shared by Alvin:

=>Don’t believe in stock recommendations.

We have a tendency to listen to others, especially when we are clueless.

When things turn out well, we would want to claim the credit – I decided on the winning stock.

When things turn out worse, we would blame it on others – the person recommended.

We should take responsibility of our decision as well as doing the necessary research to evaluate the stock.

The person who told you to buy stocks is not going to pay for your mistake.

=> Forget about pride when you are wrong

I was too proud to admit that I am wrong and this pride costs money. It took me a while to realise and acknowledge it.

Luckily it wasn’t too late.

I know there are some people who are still holding on to their losses, even when they are terribly wrong.

We must learn to take ACTION to remove the weeds in our portfolio.

http://www.bigfatpurse.com/2011/04/less ... ar-part-2/
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Importance of incorporating a weather-proof portfolio

Post by candy_chia »

Alvin shared on the importance of incorporating a weather-proof portfolio (also advocated by Dennis) during the Investing Mentoring. This will probably prepare us to ride through the crisis smoothly, regardless of which segment of investment clock we are facing.

Below are Alvin's Permanent portfolio under different segment of Investment Clock
(with 25% of his portfolio allocated to each asset class)

Inflation - invest in Gold (iShares Gold Trust, IAU, is recommended by Alvin as annual fee is only 0.22%, compared to 0.45% for GLD)
Recession - hold cash (Phillip Money Market Fund with return of 1%, but there is an annual fee of 0.45%)
Deflation - invest in Bonds (30 years SG Government Bond at 0% annual fee)
Growth - invest in Stocks (STI ETF with annual fee of 0.3% & Vanguard World Stock with annual fee of 0.22% are alternative investments as suggested by Alvin)

Higher saving interest rate of 0.8% p.a. offered by CIMB StarSaver Account (with minimum deposit of $1,000 & monthly incremental deposit of $100), instead of miserable bank rate of 0.25%
http://www.cimbbank.com.sg/index.php?ch ... pt=cimb_sg

Vanguard Total World Stock Index ETF (VT)
https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... undId=3141

iShares Gold Trust (IAU)
http://us.ishares.com/product_info/fund ... ew/IAU.htm
http://www.etftrends.com/2012/08/etf-ch ... ay-gold-4/

10th Monthly Investing Mentoring Session on 13 Aug 2012
http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... 813#p24813
alvin wrote:Hey guys, thanks for coming for the mentoring session.

Here are the slides where you can view online (friendly on ipad too)!
http://prezi.com/syy4irnldmgx/10th-mast ... g-session/

Read more about Dennis's sifus:

Mozzie: http://forum.shareinvestor.com/archive/ ... /0EE7038D/
Warren: http://forum.shareinvestor.com/archive/ ... /0EE7074D/

Dennis himself in shareinvestor forum: http://forum.shareinvestor.com/archive/ ... /0EE6FFA2/

Ask me if the slides are unclear or if you have other questions regarding the stuffs shared during the session.
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

After missing the boat to unload at $74.87 in Aug 2000, Buffett's Bershire ultimately, disposed all supplies of Intel shares (last traded at $26.33 on 14 Aug). This demonstrates that "Buy and Hold" strategy might not necessarily be rewarding.

Buffett's Berkshire exits Intel, buys more banks
, Aug. 14, 2012, 5:26 p.m.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. BRK.A -0.0039% BRK.B -0.06% disclosed late Tuesday that it SOLD ALL SHARES OF INTEL CORP. INTC -0.79% and

bought into Phillips 66 PSX -0.55% and National Oilwell Varco Inc. NOV -0.27% in the second quarter. It added to existing stakes in Wells Fargo & Co. WFC 0.00% and Bank of New York Mellon Corp. BK -0.40% significantly while unwinding some shares of U.S. Bancorp USB -0.48% . Berkshire also reported lower stakes in Johnson & Johnson JNJ +0.26% , Procter & Gamble Co. PG +0.38% and Kraft Foods KFT -0.24% .

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/buffet ... iteid=bnbh