it makes MORE sense to start investing now!

This forum is created to discuss everything about Investing, from investment principles, to theories, concepts, strategies to investment jargons to provide a easy reference for everyone

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

alcorgalz

it makes MORE sense to start investing now!

Post by alcorgalz »

i have registered for the stocks seminar, but will not get to attend it until the next session in November.
with the interest rates getting lower and lower (frankly i really didn't expect it to go lower than 0.1%), i am getting more and more anxious to learn to start investing. the value of my money is falling every single day. :(

just want to share this link http://www.dbs.com.sg/posb/deposit/noti ... fault.aspx

uob has also made similar revisions. seems like ocbc has not announced any revisions yet.
If what you're doing is not your passion, you have nothing to lose
zipink
Investing Mentor

Re: it makes MORE sense to start investing now!

Post by zipink »

alcorgalz wrote:i have registered for the stocks seminar, but will not get to attend it until the next session in November.
with the interest rates getting lower and lower (frankly i really didn't expect it to go lower than 0.1%), i am getting more and more anxious to learn to start investing. the value of my money is falling every single day. :(

just want to share this link http://www.dbs.com.sg/posb/deposit/noti ... fault.aspx

uob has also made similar revisions. seems like ocbc has not announced any revisions yet.
Most people have a POSB savings account. The int rate dropped to 0.05% from 0.1%. Singapore latest inflation rate (Aug 2011) is 5.7%.

If you have $1 million and just put in bank, the int rate is just 0.1% (old rate is 2.5%). Very "high" man.... :shock:
http://www.alexyeo.com - Ramblings of an Internet marketer and His Life
Darren Lee
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by Darren Lee »

alcorgalz wrote:i have registered for the stocks seminar, but will not get to attend it until the next session in November.

Theres pretty much nothing we can do even if bank slash they rates to zero.

Do you know that you are already ahead of most of your peers by taking the right step to invest in yourself? :wink:
Darren Lee
woonty

Post by woonty »

Darren Lee wrote:

Theres pretty much nothing we can do even if bank slash they rates to zero.
Count ourselves lucky if they did not charge us for keeping cash in the bank, haha
:D
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

There is a time and place for everything.

Why anxious to invest?

Why bother about losing money due to inflation of 5.7% if I tell you that perhaps one year from now you can use 50 cents to buy something (stock) that is selling at S$1 now?

So when you invest after Market Bottom, you can pay 50 cents, or in other words "gain" 50% by buying at lower prices, why are you so Anxious to Invest NOW when prices are much higher?

There are many people rushing to buy Properties right now for the same reason as you. They cannot stand earning close t 0% interest in their bank account, so they rather earn 3% Rental Yield from Condos.

Well, what if prices fall by 20%? Then they would need 7 years of Rental Income to ever recoup the Loss of 20%. Have they considered the risk of property prices falling by 20%?

No, Novice Investors CANNOT afford to be wrong, they cannot afford to Lose money. That's WHY they LOSE MONEY!!!

Not nice words to hear, but I'm speaking the Truth.

Real Investors like myself are always Prepared to be Wrong, we asked ourselves "What if I'm wrong, will I be financially ok?"

We are prepared to lose money, we ask ourselves:" in the worst case scenario, what is the maximum I would lose, what's the maximum downside risk?

We then only invest if Upside Potential is at least DOUBLE Downside Risks.

One day you'll appreciate or understand what I say. In the meantime, you might not appreciate what I say.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
alcorgalz

Post by alcorgalz »

Dennis Ng wrote:

There is a time and place for everything.

Why anxious to invest?

Why bother about losing money due to inflation of 5.7% if I tell you that perhaps one year from now you can use 50 cents to buy something (stock) that is selling at S$1 now?

So when you invest after Market Bottom, you can pay 50 cents, or in other words "gain" 50% by buying at lower prices, why are you so Anxious to Invest NOW when prices are much higher?

There are many people rushing to buy Properties right now for the same reason as you. They cannot stand earning close t 0% interest in their bank account, so they rather earn 3% Rental Yield from Condos.

Well, what if prices fall by 20%? Then they would need 7 years of Rental Income to ever recoup the Loss of 20%. Have they considered the risk of property prices falling by 20%?

No, Novice Investors CANNOT afford to be wrong, they cannot afford to Lose money. That's WHY they LOSE MONEY!!!

Not nice words to hear, but I'm speaking the Truth.

Real Investors like myself are always Prepared to be Wrong, we asked ourselves "What if I'm wrong, will I be financially ok?"

We are prepared to lose money, we ask ourselves:" in the worst case scenario, what is the maximum I would lose, what's the maximum downside risk?

We then only invest if Upside Potential is at least DOUBLE Downside Risks.

One day you'll appreciate or understand what I say. In the meantime, you might not appreciate what I say.
Thanks Dennis! I'm anxious to learn and know more about investing, not anxious to invest. Maybe you mistook my point somewhere because I didn't phrase myself properly. I agree that NOW is not an ideal time too. Nevertheless, thank you for your words. :)
If what you're doing is not your passion, you have nothing to lose
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

alcorgalz wrote:
Thanks Dennis! I'm anxious to learn and know more about investing, not anxious to invest. Maybe you mistook my point somewhere because I didn't phrase myself properly. I agree that NOW is not an ideal time too. Nevertheless, thank you for your words. :)
Some seminars out there are only conducted once in 3 months.

I conduct seminars every month, alternate between English and Chinese Sessions, it is already as FREQUENT as possible.
Cheers!

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
accord
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by accord »

Hi All,

Since we are in the topic of "All about Investing", I would like to ask about "power of compounding" compare with "Market cycle Investing".
I have always been thinking over which is a smart way to invest.
Which is a smart way to start saving for our children on their future education & saving??

Power of compounding can grow our money into million over a period of 30 years with little saving. And if we include monthly contribution & dollar-cost-averaging, saving can grow exponentially.

Or should we invest base on market cycle (every 2-5 years) ?
I believe we can increase my investment amount significantly using this strategy. "Upside potential double of downside".

So does it means that Market cycle investing is better than Power of compounding?
(say for example we invest in STI @ ETF)

Any comments...?
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

accord wrote:Hi All,

Since we are in the topic of "All about Investing", I would like to ask about "power of compounding" compare with "Market cycle Investing".
Which is a smart way to start saving for our children on their future education & saving??

Power of compounding can grow our money into million over a period of 30 years with little saving. And if we include monthly contribution & dollar-cost-averaging, saving can grow exponentially.

I believe we can increase my investment amount significantly using this strategy. "Upside potential double of downside".

So does it means that Market cycle investing is better than Power of compounding?

Any comments...?
Hi accord,
Compounding just means that you don't withdraw your capital, that any gains is added to your capital and compounded (grow) again.

In real world, there is NO investment that give you Smooth returns of compounding, that grow in a straight line of say 10% a year.

Thus, in practising Market Cycle Investing, I'm also compounding my money, there is NO conflict. In year 2002 to year 2007, I made over 200% returns in stocks, that work out to over 24.5% annual compounded returns.

I sold most of my stocks and protected my Gains and Capital to avoid the stock market crash in year 2008. I then re-invested starting from Oct 2008...and in last 2 years until I exited from the stock markets, I made total about 60% returns, again that would translate to 26.5% annual compounded returns.

Imagine if I had NOT sold my stocks and avoided the stock market crash in year 2008, my total returns and annual compounded returns would be greatly reduced.

Hope above clarifies.

Forget about many theories shared in books, they do NOT work in real world at all.
Cheers!

yhendra
Investing Mentor

Post by yhendra »

accord wrote:Hi All,

Any comments...?
Hi accord,

Just sharing my own opinions and ideas on top of what Dennis has shared.

A little bit technical, here.
Power of compounding is defined with the following formula:
(I'm sure most of us know this formula, but I just have to show it to emphasize on it)

Where i is the effective interest rate per period. FV and PV represent the future and present value of a sum. n represents the number of periods.

In other words, your future money (FV) depends on just THREE factors:
1. Your present capital (PV)
2. the return you get (interest rate)
3. how long you can get the same return for the number of periods (can be month, or years)

If we start young, we can save money to increase our capital for investment.
So for those who are still in their 20s & 30s, value your time!
Work smarter not hard to accumulate your first capital, learn how to invest from the RICH, like Dennis. Read the right books as recommended by Dennis (see 'All about Personal Development')

For me, and some of us who are in 40s, if we have some capital, we need to accumulate more capital and wait for the right time to really invest by applying the Market Cycle Investment strategy.
At the same time also increase our personal mindset in making decision, increase our personal development too! Yes, this is continuous and never ending improvement (CANI, Dennis said)

The return you get depends on the vehicle: bank savings, deposits, unit trust, stocks, property, land banking, etc. etc.

The younger we start, the more future value you got.
The older we are, we need a vehicle that really give bigger return to achieve our target.

Now, the Market cycle Investment strategy, using the 50MA & 200MA, help us to enter the investment at much lower level, even though cannot be the lowest level.
Example, see the chart below:

If we invest in stock at the end of 1992, 1998, 2003, 2009 we could make profit more than 50% in 1-2 years. From 2003 to 2007 we could make more than 100% from just investing on the STI-ETF. From the stocks on the same period we can make even up to 300%, as Dennis has shared in his workshop & seminar.

So, if know how to invest, we don't have to wait 30 years to increase our money to the million! Dennis has shared he make his million in just around 15 years!

With the current crisis in place, I am more excited than anxious to really grab the next opportunity.
For Dennis, of course he is really excited! But, at the same time he keeps educating the public about the financial literacy.

Note: I've lost money in "investment" and didn't learn FA, only TA.
But, I have learnt so much for the past, almost, two years.
And I am more confident now.
Cheers!
Hendra
Like to share and give opinions.
However, please do your own homework!
You have been given the tools and the knowledge, try to fish yourself, so you will never be hungry again....
---
RTW (Ride The Wave) http://www.facebook.com/RTWLearningLab
accord
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by accord »

Thanks to both mentors for your valuable advises.

I've came to realise that
- no investment will give smooth returns. (only in mathematics theory)
- following market trend to invest is indeed a smarter way.
- financial literacy & fact are very impt.

learning from you guy's is a priceless experience.
:)

i'm eager to learn more to pass the messages to benefit other...
share these info..
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

accord wrote:Thanks to both mentors for your valuable advises.

I've came to realise that
- no investment will give smooth returns. (only in mathematics theory)
- following market trend to invest is indeed a smarter way.
- financial literacy & fact are very impt.

learning from you guy's is a priceless experience.
:)

i'm eager to learn more to pass the messages to benefit other...
share these info..
Hi accord,
you're welcome.

So what works in the Real World?

I cover some of these knowledge in my book "What Your School Never Taught You About Money". You can get the book here (can consider buying some to give as gifts to your friends as well):

http://www.masteryourfinance.com/web/in ... &Itemid=35

Note: Content 100% in English. You're buying a Physical Book._Book comes with a Special Bonus 50 Minute Private Video Interview with Dennis Ng where he unlocks the code to making profits in uncertain times worth $88.

_

Note:_Order is only available for address in Singapore. Overseas order will NOT be fulfilled._

_

Retail Price of this book is S$28.90, at this website, we are offering Special Price of S$21.90

_

In this book, I'll be sharing all the things that Your School Never Taught You About Money, eg. What's the difference between Investing and Gambling?

Other topics shared in the book include:

_

What is Money?_

What are the Laws of Money?
How to decide when to sell stocks?
What are the Common Mistakes in filing Income Tax return?
How to decode Housing Loan packages?
What can we learn from the Richest Investor about Investing?
Why Robert Kiyosaki's definition of Assets and Liabilities are wrong?

Understanding what is a ETF?
Understanding what is a REIT?
Outlook for Stock and Property Market in year 2012/13?
What is currency war? Currency Way de-mystified
How to prepare for the next Global Financial Crisis?

and many, many other topics...

Other topics include:

What your school taught about Investments might be all wrong?
Why study hard and work hard no longer guarantee Success?
Making sense of SIBOR vs SOR for Home Loans;
Painful Lessons I learned from Asian Financial Crisis;
7 Strategies to fatten your Wallet;
Common Misconceptions taught in Financial Planning;
How to go from Money Not Enough to Financial Freedom?

And many, many more...

All in all, a total of 42 Topics will be covered in this book...

_

Special Bonus: 50 Minute Special Private Interview with Dennis Ng:

To reward you for your commitment to master your financial destiny, we are giving you full access to a private interview with Dennis Ng whereby he unlocks the code to making profits in uncertain times worth $88.

In this 50-minute video, you will learn:

Why retail investors lose money most of the time
What are the 3 key things to look out for when buying stocks
How to prevent emotions from getting into the way when investing
Secret on why the rich gets richer
How to evaluate the performance of your investment portfolio
Practical advice for the novice in investing
Why Traded Endowment Policy is getting increasingly popular
Cheers!

accord
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by accord »

Thank You Dennis.

I've brought your latest book "What Your School Never Taught You About Money".
In fact I was among the first 100 to purchase the book on the internet for S$18.

already started reading and sharing with my family members..
and will be signing up the Special Private Interview with you.

cheers..