Value Investing Summit

This forum is created to discuss everything about Investing, from investment principles, to theories, concepts, strategies to investment jargons to provide a easy reference for everyone

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

findleowong
Platinum Forum Contributor

Value Investing Summit

Post by findleowong »

http://www.valueinvestingsummit.com

Recently received an email on this investing conference (Value Investing Summit) & notice one of the speakers dealing with property is a long time business partner with Wendy Kwek and Ken Chee.

So, who is this Mystery Guest: Mr X.

He is none other the founder for Pheim Asset Management (Asia) Pte Ltd Dr Tan Chong Koay.

http://www.pheim.com.sg/about_us/staff_ ... _team.html
findleowong

Re: Value Investing Summit

Post by findleowong »

findleowong wrote:http://www.valueinvestingsummit.com

Recently received an email on this investing conference (Value Investing Summit) & notice one of the speakers dealing with property is a long time business partner with Wendy Kwek and Ken Chee.

So, who is this Mystery Guest: Mr X.

He is none other the founder for Pheim Asset Management (Asia) Pte Ltd Dr Tan Chong Koay.

http://www.pheim.com.sg/about_us/staff_ ... _team.html
Previous news on Pheim which is also publish on the papers.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 11/1/.html
http://www.theedgesingapore.com/compon ... ?task=view
winstonteo
Silver Forum Contributor

Value Investing Summit

Post by winstonteo »

Have you or anyone attend this Value Investing Summit before?

Wonder how it is like or if it is worth attending it? I only heard Patrick Liew presenting his speech on stage before.

This sounds very new to me as the common ones I heard or attended are organised by Success Resources.
findleowong

Post by findleowong »

If I am not mistaken, this summit is their first time. It's really up to individual, should they find the agenda on the day is something, they want to listen or find out.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

findleowong wrote:If I am not mistaken, this summit is their first time. It's really up to individual, should they find the agenda on the day is something, they want to listen or find out.
probably trying to sell their seminars.

Patrick Liew is Value Investor? I only always heard him give motivational or sales speech. He's pretty good at that though.

He even avoid to give any comments on the property market when I asked him on facebook. Frankly, I don't see anyone in the list worth listening to, without knowing who the mystery speaker is.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
ngtfook

Post by ngtfook »

Dennis Ng wrote:
findleowong wrote:If I am not mistaken, this summit is their first time. It's really up to individual, should they find the agenda on the day is something, they want to listen or find out.
probably trying to sell their seminars.

Patrick Liew is Value Investor? I only always heard him give motivational or sales speech. He's pretty good at that though.

He even avoid to give any comments on the property market when I asked him on facebook. Frankly, I don't see anyone in the list worth listening to, without knowing who the mystery speaker is.
I think they are trying to sell his seminar during the show... similar like AdamKhoo in his Jul2001 summit at Expo.
May be this event is suitable for newbee. :?
Price is what you pay; Value is what you get
RayNg
tohsimon
Senior Forum Member

Post by tohsimon »

Hi,

I attended the workshops conducted by Ken and his team before. They emphasised on Warren Buffet way of investment. I later joined Dennis's workshops and I can tell you that I gotten more value from Dennis's workshops instead. Period. :D
ST
newbie_mc
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by newbie_mc »

Hi I have attend such talk before but not investing.. Imagine 500 people paying $100 = $50k .. It may or may be not a gd talk but I am curious how they are disussing value stocks like osim? i think we can do our homework ourself by doing research ourself but nevertheless , anyone think of going?
newbie_mc
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by newbie_mc »

newbie_mc wrote:Hi I have attend such talk before but not investing.. Imagine 500 people paying $100 = $50k .. It may or may be not a gd talk but I am curious how they are disussing value stocks like osim? i think we can do our homework ourself by doing research ourself but nevertheless , anyone think of going? I think it is selling seminar course again but the website no All content, no pitches.. too good to be believed
findleowong

Post by findleowong »

Definitely, not for me to attend a arrogant person, seeing him giving presentation on stage. His investment result is no where comparable to me hence I’m always open to listen & learn from others base on their character.

Recently, I just read their book on (Value investing in high growth companies) Part of the contents are from their courseware. There are mistakes in the book, other than that, how they value the stocks are totally wrong. Imagine all the number of people attend their program and learning the wrong method on valuation.

As I mention before, most of the stuffs can be self taught from Mr Buffett books & their so called discount earning model comes from Curtis book as well. Discount rate using CPF rate and margin of safety of 50%. (Rubbish)

Tell this to the value fund manager in US or other countries or to my mentor, they will probably frown at them.

In summary, I would rather use the money, go and enjoy a top notch international buffet.
accord
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by accord »

Hi All,

I'm attending their Value Investing Summit 2012.
Will keep you guys posted as to whether such seminar are worth it.
It's a 2 full days seminar; cost $148.
accord
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by accord »

Hi All,

Attended the seminar last weekend.

Speaker Ken Chee emphasised too much on Warren Bufett's way of investing.
He gave examples of how he made $$ from 2 stocks (VICOM and OKP).
His MIP (millionaire investor program) cost $3495.
My view is that its an overvalue course with only learning Warren Buffett's Value investing.
Not impressed.

Ken also conducts a closed-door free workshop during breaks to interested investor to sign up for his premium course.
It heard that it cost about $8000+ which includes MIP, mentoring session, opportunity to meet up in person with management of listed companies and may able to get insider news/tips.
**fainted**

Speaker Sarjit Singh - FCA, CPA. He gave talks about the Top 10 list to identify Fraud Companies.
He gave a very general points (such as evaluating mgt team, understand saturation, examine co track record on dividend payout, etc...)
Not impressed too, too brief, lack of details.
Dennis teaches us to look at real value and figures from Balance sheets, cashflow statement is definitely worthwhile & makes more sense.

Speaker Joey Yap is the founder of the Mastery Academy of Chinese Metaphysics, a global organisation devoted to the teachings of Feng Shui, BaZi, Mian Xiang and other Chinese Metaphysics subjects.
But I dont believes in Feng Shui. :D

Speaker Attlee Hue works in private equity for more than 5 years and was a practicing lawyer for more than 15 years in the area of corporate law. He gave presention on Value investing on REITs. Very brief information from his 2-hr presentation.
He also offer courses during the seminar.
It cost a whopping $1999 for a day course w/o mentoring session follow-up and no forum for discussion.

Speaker Patrick Liew is the CEO of HSR Global Ltd. He is a good speaker and can bring listener to him. However he jokes more than talking about property investing.

The Mystery speaker is the founder for Pheim Asset Management (Asia) Pte Ltd; Dr Tan Chong Koay.
Basically not much show-time for him, he gave a 30 minutes presentation on his Philosophy on investing.

Basically i think the objective of this seminar is to get the audiences to sign up for their programs.
The contents of their presentation were so brief and simple that you can read it on your own from those books about Warren Buffett's way of Value Investing.

My take: Dennis's course for a 3-in-1 is a steal in term of price and knowledge we get.
:o
ngtfook

Post by ngtfook »

So bottomline is that the seminar is a marketing exercise rather than active learning. :cry:
I think they are trying to sell his seminar during the show... similar like AdamKhoo in his Jul2001 summit at Expo.
May be this event is suitable for newbee.

RayNg

accord wrote:Hi All,

Attended the seminar last weekend.

Speaker Ken Chee emphasised too much on Warren Bufett's way of investing.
He gave examples of how he made $$ from 2 stocks (VICOM and OKP).
His MIP (millionaire investor program) cost $3495.
My view is that its an overvalue course with only learning Warren Buffett's Value investing.
Not impressed.

Ken also conducts a closed-door free workshop during breaks to interested investor to sign up for his premium course.
It heard that it cost about $8000+ which includes MIP, mentoring session, opportunity to meet up in person with management of listed companies and may able to get insider news/tips.
**fainted**

Speaker Sarjit Singh - FCA, CPA. He gave talks about the Top 10 list to identify Fraud Companies.
He gave a very general points (such as evaluating mgt team, understand saturation, examine co track record on dividend payout, etc...)
Not impressed too, too brief, lack of details.
Dennis teaches us to look at real value and figures from Balance sheets, cashflow statement is definitely worthwhile & makes more sense.

Speaker Joey Yap is the founder of the Mastery Academy of Chinese Metaphysics, a global organisation devoted to the teachings of Feng Shui, BaZi, Mian Xiang and other Chinese Metaphysics subjects.
But I dont believes in Feng Shui. :D

Speaker Attlee Hue works in private equity for more than 5 years and was a practicing lawyer for more than 15 years in the area of corporate law. He gave presention on Value investing on REITs. Very brief information from his 2-hr presentation.
He also offer courses during the seminar.
It cost a whopping $1999 for a day course w/o mentoring session follow-up and no forum for discussion.

Speaker Patrick Liew is the CEO of HSR Global Ltd. He is a good speaker and can bring listener to him. However he jokes more than talking about property investing.

The Mystery speaker is the founder for Pheim Asset Management (Asia) Pte Ltd; Dr Tan Chong Koay.
Basically not much show-time for him, he gave a 30 minutes presentation on his Philosophy on investing.

Basically i think the objective of this seminar is to get the audiences to sign up for their programs.
The contents of their presentation were so brief and simple that you can read it on your own from those books about Warren Buffett's way of Value Investing.

My take: Dennis's course for a 3-in-1 is a steal in term of price and knowledge we get.
:o
RayNg
findleowong

Post by findleowong »

Thanks for sharing on the details accord. The people in the forum will really appreciate it. In fact, I was also at the place but din attend the seminar. I was there to purchase the other book (Value investing for employees) this book is not out to the public bookstore.

Finish reading it within a day and I would say most of the contents from this book replicate from their first book. Not worth paying the money to get this book & could make better use of the money to buy other book or have a good meal somewhere-else.

But I realise something, I feel this book is not written by the author & in fact, their first book, I already got the feeling. Why I say so because the first book authors, I have spoken to them at one of the public seminar, personal basis, I feel that not likely they are able to write something so details. The other thing I hate about it, they keep talking about warren buffett investing, kind of irritates me.

Have anyone wonder, why the author is not Ken Chee since most of time, he is the one presenting their seminar. Will the rest become the scapegoat & he will not be liable for it end of the day especially on the book itself, he is not the author. If so, he is really smart.

But anyway, they have already made a lot of money from the program, I do not believe they are making so much money through investing & they own condo, executive car, oversea properties, etc.

However, the branding for their program is really good & most people will already been attract by their program name. I have to give them a thumb up for it.

I have to agree Vicom and OKP are good large and small cap stocks. Good business and low debts. Investors should check them out.

I also heard about the premium course from my mentor when my mentor acquaintances mention it to him. It’s totally crazy. Even in their program, they will ask the participants to invest in their fund and not surprise they are quite number of people got brain wash and really invest with them. Not sure how much they charge for the fees and how the fund performs.

I think most of us have expected that the seminar like accord has mention is to get people to sign up unlike the events in US which my mentor has attended, is more on sharing purpose and experience by different professional value investors managing value funds. At the same time, my mentor has also make quite number of friends from the event itself.
kklok
Investing Mentor

Post by kklok »

Since this is a public area I will not say too much. As what Dennis taught I attended the session with a open mind and an empty cup. But I am really disappointed. I did not know him before I attend the session so I am hoping that I can learn at least one good point from his him. But at the end of the day I find that I am wasting my life to attend. To me is like paying to attend a preview of the actual seminars. It really did not make any sense. I believe that there is something missing also in his team. Apart from making money in the market I believe that we should have the correct value and principle. Of course this is just my opinion.

Cheers
Kok Kiat